Well… let’s back up. I hated grapefruit until I tried it THIS way. When you put bitter grapefruit under a broiler is mellows it out juuuuuust enough for me to forget I hate it and becomes one of the most comforting things I have ever eaten.
And I come from the deep south where comfort food is all there is… so you know I’m saying some truth right now.
I love the simplicity of this dish and yet it feels the tiniest bit fancy and there is nothing wrong with that!
Ever feel like you’re being watched? Me, too.
Yes, I have made this without the brown sugar. Yes, I survived it. Nope it’s not my favorite. You should just trust me and use the sugar!!
Bitter + sweet + rich + earthy + divine. Top with some plain Greek yogurt and minced candied ginger and you have yourself a breakfast miracle worth swooning over.
So loves, make some time in the mornings to take care of yourself properly. I am as guilty as everyone else at rushing around and running out of the house with a granola bar in my hand and grabbing coffee on the way. But every once in a while we need to set the alarm a few minutes early so that we have time to do something nice for ourselves. This little dish will certainly fit that bill!
WHAT YOU NEED
1 tablespoon brown sugar
a sprinkle of ground ginger
plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp minced candied ginger
WHAT YOU DO
Active time: 15 minutes
1. Preheat your oven’s broiler on HIGH. Move one of the racks to the highest position right under your broiler element.
2. Slice the GRAPEFRUIT in half. With a paring knife, separate the flesh from the membrane and pith. Remove any seeds that you come across in this process.
3. Sprinkle the BROWN SUGAR & GROUND GINGER over both GRAPEFRUIT halves.
4. Place the GRAPEFRUIT in a baking dish and broil for 9 minutes.
5. Put a scoop of GREEK YOGURT and a bit of the minced CRYSTALLIZED GINGER on each half.